Trapezoidal commutation steps through 6 different commutation states per electrical cycle to transition the current between phases. Current passes through 2 phases at any given moment while the 3rd phase has zero output.
- Results in increased overall torque
- but with more torque ripple at low speeds
- Compatible with low resolution Hall sensors for motor feedback to reduce overall system cost
ADVANCED Motion Controls' Capabilities
- AxCent™ brushless drives use trapezoidal commutation
- DigiFlex® Performance™ drives can optionally be set for trapezoidal commutation