Stepper motors convert input pulses into precisely defined increment “steps”. Each step moves the motor shaft through a fixed angle, with a specific number of steps completing a full rotation. The actual angular rotation of the shaft is directly related to the number of pulses introduced. The position of the load can be accurately determined by counting the pulses entered. 2-phase, 3-phase, and Multi-phase stepper motors are used in open- and closed-loop systems with external controllers providing the switching pulses for commutation.
- High frequency pulse commands allow rapid rotor movement
- Precise positioning in simple low acceleration systems with static loads
- Generally used in low cost
- less demanding systems
- Lower electrical efficiency than servo systems
ADVANCED Motion Controls' Capabilities
- ADVANCED Motion Controls' DigiFlex® Performance™ drives are compatible with two-phase and three-phase closed loop stepper motors