AGVs are autonomous mobile robotic platforms with multiple industrial and commercial uses as well as for research development projects. These systems are typically used to transfer materials.
Multi-axis traction and steering control for heavy loads. Servo drives selected due to their overall operational efficiencies.
Compressed schedule and deliverables
- Customer given one month timeframe to demonstrate proof-of-concept
- Control system selected from outside vendor of much smaller robots
- Target platform to combine transplanted controls into new, larger, more complex system.
Specified network communication
- CANopen® network expected in the drives given stability of existing smaller system.
Much higher current demands
- 150 amps peak and continuous current output
Prior success with ADVANCED Motion Controls
- Both customer and smaller robot controls manufacturer use ADVANCED Motion Controls' drives
- ADVANCED Motion Controls' success with the smaller robot control system provided the starting point to design higher power drive solution
- ADVANCED Motion Controls' capabilities and experience of providing a quick solution edged out competition
Quick response and proposed solution
- Standard CANopen interface combined with higher power platform
- Concurrent internal development on high-power vehicle mount drives led to customer receiving prototype unit in 2 weeks